Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 1

Today, in class, it didn't go terribly, but it wasn't great. When we began class, it took them a long time to begin independent reading. I did, however, hear someone say, "Be quiet. I don't want us to have to move into rows." This made me happy because they are connecting the dots. Incessant Talking ====> Rows. I give them a "3--2--1" and then I say, "Ok, let's please stand up and move our desks into rows." The other class rarely has to use this consequence, but I'm very happy to see that they are seeing the consistency.

I confiscated a note that one girl was passing around asking for everyone's MySpace information. I used to be "philosophically opposed" to confiscating kids' notes. It's their property. Why do I have the right to take it? Now, I see it as my right as an educator to try to disrupt disruptions. So, I took the note. The girl wrote her name on the top, and I am going to call Mommy & Daddy to tell them about it.

In the class, there is a "ring-leader." What does she do that's so bad? She SHOUTS. She shouts things out at the top of her lungs, even (sometimes, ESPECIALLY) if they are not class-related. She is the main defiant force in the class. So, I asked her not to shout. She said, "Why?" I said, "It's disruptive." I don't remember the rest of the conversation. Now, I am determined to call her parents, but I talked to her after class. I asked her if this class is moving too slowly for her. Maybe she should see her guidance counselor to see if she is supposed to be in the class (that would be easy!). I also said that while her written work is more than sufficient, her behavior is not to mark. I told her I know she is capable of acting in a more mature manner. Now, I feel like calling her parents would be unfair. I spoke to her, hoping that the conversation will change her behavior. If I call, as well, I feel like I'm not giving her a chance to turn herself around. So, I'm going to wait one more day.

However, I will call and talk to:

Y: Does no work, needs a lot of help, seems to have particularly low skills, generally more quiet than disruptive (i.e. likely to sleep, not to disprupt)

A: Late often, needs a lot of help, but the "restless" type (meaning shifts around in his seat, turns around to talk, etc.)

P: The girl who started the note

C: A young man who talks and talks and talks to his friends. Today, I said, "We are not here to talk to our friends." He said, "Yes, we are."

So, I have to admit that just knowing I'm writing this is helpful.

I may not write tomorrow, but I feel like this blog is a way to deal with this problem head-on, and I think that's one of the main keys to succeeding.

-mrs. b.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Hello! I will start teaching English in Georgia next fall so I've been looking for any and every piece of free writing about the teaching experience as possible.

While I don't have experience teaching high school, I have experience teaching college students and substitute teaching. The best piece of advice I got while teaching college students and having to discipline them was DOCUMENTATION. Every conversation I had with someone about behavior or rule-breaking was documented in a notebook. Then when I had to implement discipline, I had evidence of past mishaps I'd discussed with that individual.

Do you keep track of when you talk to your students about behavior? I suggest keeping track of your conversations with this girl so that if the behavior continues you can call her parents and tell them exactly what is going on in your classroom and what you've done to stop it. Sounds like she must want a lot of attention- if her parents are cooperative, she might get more attention/discipline at home.

Best of luck in this week before Thanksgiving!